Today is the day our group turns three years old!
Generations of fansubbers have come and gone, and our small circle of staff has seen graduations, marriages, and beyond. Lots of things happen in three years, and we even lived through the End of the World.
But here we are, still subbing just like we did in 2010. I owe much to our staff, previous and current, for their tireless contributions, and of course, to you for your continued and spirited support all of these years. Thank you, staff and fans, for keeping UTW going and making it worth every step of the way!
To mark this occasion, I’ve decided to set up a couple new polls to take a quick trip down memory lane. Please let us know which of our projects you enjoyed watching!
Nobody bothered doing anything for April Fools again, so I guess we’ll just have to admit we’re
too busy for this shit boring people with no creativity. I did sort of have an April Fools idea yesterday, but I ended up spending my time either outside or studying instead.
I look forward to another year of anime with you all! Happy 3rd Birthday, UTW!
- Photokano – As the spiritual successor of Amagami, how could we pass this up?
- Railgun S – Joint with our bros at Mazui.
- Suisei no Gargantia – Joint with Vivid, a new group a few of our buddies formed. You can visit their IRC HERE.
These plans are subject to change depending on what simulcasters pick for the season.
There’s also the Evangelion Q movie that comes out about a month from now. We’ll be subbing that with THORAnime like we did with the second movie.
Here’s to another great season of anime!
Oh, before I forget. I’ll make this short.
Puchimasu! (as Chibiki)
Little Busters! (as UTW-Mazui)
There’s another series we’re looking at, but big question mark about picking it up. We were looking at Sasami-san@Gambaranai, but we weren’t able to schedule our lives around it.
P.S.: It’s a new year and all, so we will be switching from XviD to H.264 480p 8-bit for our compatibility releases for new projects from now on. However, the compatibility releases for Shinsekai Yori will still be encoded using XviD for consistency.
Sword Art Online continues into the Fall 2012 season.
Our new shows are:
- Shinsekai Yori – We’re taking it nice and slow subbing the first episode, so don’t expect it any earlier than tomorrow. Whether we’ll continue with it or not depends if CR is simulcasting with the CS-Asahi broadcast (which is the first airing and what we’ll be using) or with the terrestrial broadcast (which is 5 days later). We will drop it if it’s the former.
- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai – This will be a joint with rori Fansubs, and we will be releasing under the URW label (short for “Unlimited Rori Works”; Pedobear would kill to get in!).
- Little Busters! – We will be joining forces with our good friends over at Mazui again for this show. If this gets licensed, we will drop it if the streaming is available any earlier than 24 hours after it airs in Japan.
That makes four shows this season (oh boy). Here’s to another great season of anime!
We are confirmed for the following:
- Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
- Sword Art Online (this will be a joint with GotWoot Fansubs; you can help decide our group name in the poll to the right!)
Accel World continues into the Summer 2012 anime season.
I wanted to do Muv-luv Alternative: Total Eclipse as I’m a huge fan of âge stuff, but with CR simulcasting it and staff unavailability, picking up this show will probably be more trouble than it’s worth.
Certain staff members *cough cough* will make good use of this breather to work through their gigantic backlogs, I’m sure…
EDIT: I’ve resetted the poll to include the “GutWorks” option, courtesy of Xythar. Please vote again!
EDIT (30/6/2012): It appears Crunchyroll has licensed SAO as well. Here’s what we’ll do:
- If it’s a latecast (i.e. 12 or more hours after it airs in Japan) and/or their translation is shit, we’ll push ahead with our original translation.
- If it’s an on-the-dot/few-hours-late simulcast and the translation is good, then we’ll either edit CR’s scripts or drop the project. Those of us who have read or are reading the LNs are really enjoying the story so far though, so it seems likely we’ll go ahead and edit CR’s scripts.